How to Make Potato Gnocchi
Potato gnocchi aren't complicated to make at home, but several important steps are necessary for good results as shown below.
- Boil the potatoes with their skin on.
- Peel the potato as soon as you can and put them through a ricer to eliminate all lumps.
- Roll the dough into the rope shape long about 10-inches. Cut all the ropes into 1-inch pieces.
- Imprint each piece of dough with lines, so the sauce has an easier clung to gnocchi.
Potato Gnocchi Recipe
Ingredients: serves 6
- 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled about 2 lb. (1kg)
- 1¾ cups (400g) flour
- 1 egg
- 1½ tablespoon (20g) salt
NOTE You can serve potato gnocchi with many of the same sauces you use on pasta, as tomato sauce or pesto sauce.
Preparation: medium 1 hour
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot with cold water. Bring
the water to a boil adding a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and cook
until the potatoes are tender when pierced, then drain.
- When the potatoes become cool enough, peel them. Using a
ricer, squeeze all the potatoes into the flour making a mound. It's
important to do this while the potatoes are still warm. Allow the riced
potatoes to cool.
- Form a well in the center of the potatoes and add the egg,
salt and the flour. Mix until you have a sticky ball. Add more flour if
necessary and if the dough is to wet to knead.
- Roll out the gnocchi dough so that it forms a 1½ inch diameter
rope, then cut 1-inch pieces. Take each piece and roll it over a fork
(better a wooden grid shaped with corners) so that the grid impressions
- Take a pot with water and bring to boil, then add the gnocchi. Be
careful, avoid cooking the gnocchi at a rolling boil. Don't lift them
out until they float.
Ready to be sauced!