How to Make Pastry Cream
Pastry cream is among the most commonly used in baking.
It's used as a filling for tarts, cream puffs, pastry cakes, cannoli,
sweet yarrow, sponge cakes and used in many other Italian desserts.
It 's a cream very easy to prepare, the secret is to add the warm
milk to the egg mixture, sugar and flour in small doses, over low heat,
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (60g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60g) of flour
- 1 pt (½lt) of milk
- lemon peel
- vanilla extract (best vanilla bean seeds)
- In a bowl put the eggs and sugar.
- Mix well for a few minutes with an electric whisk.
- Add the flour.
- Keep mixing with the whisk.
- Pour gradually the milk in the mixture.
- Then add the lemon peel and vanilla extract, but best of all are the vanilla bean seeds and the bean shell placed in the cooking pot.
- Put the cream on the stove and boil over moderate heat for several minutes stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and let cool stirring occasionally to prevent the formation of a film on the surface.
It's time to remove from the cooking pot the lemon peel and the vanilla
bean. Make the cream cool down, then refrigerate covered with plastic
wrap and ready to be used.
You Might Also Like...