One of the Italian famous cod fish recipes is named "baccalà alla napoletana" (cod Neapolitan style) which is the sister of a cod recipe from Vicenza city named "baccalà alla vicentina".
For this recipe you must use salted cod fish dried naturally or artificially, usually it's sold already soaked.
Once you buy salted cod it must be first desalted before you can cook it.
So put the salted cod fish in water for about 48 hours, and to understand if it's ready for cooking taste a little scale.
When soft enough and well desalinated, you can gently squeeze and dry the cod. Only then it's ready for the recipe!
1. Cut the cod fillets, already soaked and rinsed, cut into pieces about two or three fingers high. Drain the pieces and dry with a cloth or paper towel. Prepare also the chopped garlic and parsley.
2. Flour the pieces of cod.
3. Put them in a pan then fry in hot oil.
4. When they are browned on one side, turn them gently and brown the other side.
5. Then once golden on both sides, put them in a dish.
6. In the same pan in which you have golden the pieces of salt cod, place the garlic and parsley to fry.
7. Add the tomatoes, chopped or passed, according to preference and add chili to taste.
8. Cook a few minutes and when the tomatoes are bit dry, add the codfish previously golden.
9. Cook together codfish and tomatoes to make it tasty, then add black olives and salted capers previously rinsed. When cooking ends add a sprinkle more of minced parsley.
10. Turn the cod in tomato sauce and the dish is ready!
11.12. Serve this nice "baccalà alla napoletana" at Feast of the Seven Fishes recurrence as many Italian-American families still do keeping the tradition. In Italy we do eat fish on Christmas Eve as cod and eels but NOT seven anymore.
Another cod fish recipe and you can serve these fritters as an appetizer or as a main course.
1. Rinse the salted cod under cold running water. Discard the skin and any bones and cut into small pieces.
2. In a bowl place the flour and add water, then the eggs, parsley, black pepper, Parmesan cheese.
3. Mix well until you get to a NOT very liquid batter.
4.5. Add the cod and let stand in refrigerator for at least 60 minutes.
6. Fry spoonfuls in hot oil.
Fry until crispy outside and soft inside!